Tasmanian Wine List of the Year Awards AnnouncedPosted under Media Releases
The Bridport Bunker Club and Mures Upper Deck have been announced as winners in the 2018 Tasmanian Wine List of the Year competition.
At an awards event on Monday 24 September, Wine Tasmania Chief Executive Sheralee Davies announced the Judges’ Choice had been jointly awarded to Mures Upper Deck on the Hobart waterfront and to The Bridport Bunker Club on the north east coast.
The Bridport Bunker Club was also awarded the People’s Choice, based on members of the wine loving public voting for their favourite finalist.
Ms Davies congratulated the two winners and recognised each of the finalists (listed below) for their strong support of the Tasmanian wine sector.
“The growing global profile of Tasmania’s wines means that more and more people are travelling travel to Tasmania to try our wines - close to 300,000 of our visitors called into a cellar door during their stay over the past twelve months. It is an important part of the visitor experience for them to be able to enjoy a glass of local wine over a meal during their visit, and it’s great to see so many venues promoting Tasmania’s outstanding wines as part of their offering”, she said.
The judging was undertaken by an independent panel comprising 2018 guest judge Hon Peter Gutwein MP, wine writer Winsor Dobbin and Wine Tasmania Chief Executive Sheralee Davies, which selected the Judges’ Choice Award winners. The People’s Choice Award winner was selected by the wine loving public, which was invited to visit and vote for their favourite finalist.
Venues are assessed against a range of criteria, including the representation of Tasmanian wines by the glass and bottle, the depth and scope of wines offered, the way Tasmanian wines are listed and promoted on the wine list and relevant aspects of wine service, training and knowledge.
2018 Tasmanian Wine List of the Year Finalists:
- The Bridport Bunker Club, 67 Main Street, Bridport - www.thebridportbunkerclub.com.au - Judges’ Choice & People’s Choice Award Winner
- Mures Upper Deck, Davey Street, Hobart - www.mures.com.au/upper-deck - Judges’ Choice Award Winner
- Astor Grill, 157 Macquarie Street, Hobart - www.astorgrill.com.au
- Bay Restaurant - Freycinet Lodge, Freycinet National Park - www.freycinetlodge.com.au
- Grape Bar & Bottleshop, Salamanca Place, Hobart - www.grapebar.com.au
- Institut Polaire, Murray Street, Hobart - www.institutpolaire.com.au
- Kwan Ho, 410 Sandy Bay Road, Sandy Bay - www.kwanho.com.au